Monday, August 11, 2008

The Wind / Don't Be Shy


Well, I just feel so fantastic this evening. After a rather not-fantastic day, I managed to take stock of and remember the things that I am proud to be doing and the things that I am grateful for. Walking home, feeling pretty serene as I watched the last light of day disappear, I thought it was pretty stupid of me to be trying so desperately to recover a favourite wallowing song of mine from the depths of my memory - this was my intended project - when, as it turned out, I no longer felt at all like wallowing.

It's hard to pick a favourite Cat Stevens song. (So I won't.) All of his songs feel like things that have always been there, comforting like pajamas fresh out of the dryer. My hippie friend Jill once said, "Cat Stevens is the best driving music" I couldn't agree more. Listening to Cat Stevens is like being reminded of the journey while you're in it. It's free and alert and absolutely - literally - wonderful.

We used to sing "Wild World,"  Liz & Steph & whoever else & I, sitting outside in Markland Woods by Liz's pool or at Centennial Park with guitars.

This is a short one - no more explanations and no more fucking brackets.
This song is just so good. And it is almost always so hard for me to relax.

I'm going to go watch Rushmore.


**Photo is a screenshot from Harold & Maude, retrieved by google. How do I credit this? Am I being criminal? Um, I got it here: http://4thwall.de/uploads/maude.jpg

The Wind - Cat Stevens
I listen to the wind to the wind of my soul
Where I'll end up well I think, only God really knows
I've sat upon the setting sun
But never, never never never
I never wanted water once
No, never, never, never
I listen to my words but they fall far below
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go
I swam upon the devil's lake
But never, never never never
I'll never make the same mistake
No, never, never, never
Don't Be Shy - Cat Stevens
Don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
Just lift your head, and let your feelings out instead
And don't be shy, just let your feeling roll on by
On by...
You know love is better than a song
Love is where all of us belong
So don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
You're there...
Don't be shy just let your feelings roll on by
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
Just lift your head, and let your feelings out instead
And don't be shy, just let your feeling roll on by
On by, on by, on by, on by...

1 comment:

Amelia Chester said...

Instead of editing my post, I'm going to leave this comment to ensure that the comment function actually does work and that it's just that no one reads this thing.

I can't believe I forgot to talk about singing "Another Saturday Night" with Justin. His singing will for sure come up later in this blog. I would really like to say that his is, seriously, one of my favourite voices to hear especially because it can be pretty off-key and always, ALWAYS excessively loud!

Now I get to see what a comment looks like! I hope, I hope!